Saturday, August 17, 2013

Spaghetti Sauce with Pumpkin

Or... What to do with leftover pumpkin.

When I make spaghetti sauce I almost always start with onions, peppers, and carrots.  I saute these with whatever else I feel like adding.  Typically, I will small dice zucchini and/or yellow squash.  This particular evening, I had no usual squash, but I did have some leftover pumpkin puree (thanks to my yummy Pumpkin Pancakes.)  It seemed to me a normal substitution.

After cooking the onions, peppers, and carrots, I added my tomato sauce (I often use jarred spaghetti sauce in the interest of time.)  If I was cooking my sauce from scratch, I would cook it nearly to completion before adding pumpkin.  As it was, I added the puree shortly after the spaghetti sauce.  I stirred it in and heated everything through.

The pumpkin was a nice background note to the sauce.  It was not overwhelming but added a bit of richness to the sauce.  We are used to a bit of squash flavor anyway.  The sauce was certainly thicker because of the pumpkin puree.  If this bothers you, you could add additional plain tomato sauce.

Try it.  It is a great way to add more flavor and more vegetables to your meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment