Friday, September 10, 2010

Awww Seafood!

Shuck’s Fish House & Oyster Bar
http://www.absolutelyfresh.com/
1218 South 119th Street, Omaha - (402) 827-4376

Having lived in Coastal Alaska for five years, I grew a bit spoiled on fresh seafood. I am not the biggest fan of red meat which is, I suppose, unfortunate living in cattle country. However, when I want fresh fish, I have found that Absolutely Fresh Seafood does not disappoint. When I want fresh seafood that someone else cooks for me, my recent dining experience at Shuck’s did not disappoint either.

My beau and I had plans to catch a movie last Friday night so we were in a bit of a rush. When we arrived at Shucks, we were promptly greeted. Unfortunately, there were no tables available, but two seats had just opened up at the bar. We did not hesitate to grab them. As we sat down, we were greeted by the young man shucking a variety of oysters. He was very amiable and told us the bartender would be with us shortly. He had his hands full refilling the oyster bins for the couple sitting next to us who were quite enamored of the fresh oysters.

I decided instantly what I wanted to eat and after a quick review of the menu we were ready to order. I ordered the Shrimp Po’ Boy which came with Baby Cakes and Coleslaw. My beau had the Grilled Salmon which was served with Rice and Veggies and he added a side salad.

The salad was delivered in about a minute. I had time to enjoy a most of a bottle of beer while he ate his salad. Perhaps I was drinking that beer a little fast (we had a movie to get to!) because our entrees did arrive before the salad was finished.

My Po’ Boy was delicious. Too often I find shrimp over-cooked but these were perfection. The breading on the shrimp was not overbearing and the ratio of shrimp to bun was perfect. These piping hot shrimp were practically spilling out of my sandwich. Okay, they did spill out… perhaps I’m not the most graceful eater. I would place partial blame on the remoulade sauce. This was an oil based remoulade and the shredded lettuce and muffaletta relish did not stop it from soaking into my bun or dripping into my basket. True to my southern roots, I know how to “sop” and I certainly did. It was really a protective maneuver to keep my crispy Babycakes from getting soggy. I didn’t grow up eating tater tots, but if I had known they could be smashed, seasoned, and refried, I would have made a point of it. The coleslaw was creamy and just a little sweet.

From what I could tell, the salmon was also well cooked. I will have to make a point of eating a little bit of his food so I can report on it. He said it was pretty good, for what it’s worth.

In all, Shucks is a fun, laid back atmosphere. Disposable plates, baskets and utensils; beer in bottles only; quick and friendly service; and one of the few places in Omaha I have been to that cooks seafood properly. I recommend it for a good quality, inexpensive, casual, fun, seafood outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment