Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mission: Balsamic syrup

Mission status: failure
Last night was the second time I have tried to make a balsamic syrup to no avail. 


My first attempt I blindly followed one set of directions I found and boiled the heck out of it and ended up scorching it.  I could tell it had potential, but had that unpleasant burnt after taste.  I decided I had boiled it too high for too long.  The vinegar had started to foam and stayed that way until I took it off the heat.


I was not going to make the same mistake twice.  This time I watched the vinegar come to a boil, then I reduced the temp to a simmer.  **Note: When looking at your boiling vinegar, do not stand above it and inhale.  Wow.**


Under more careful observation, I thought it would work this time.  Instead the result was (not burnt) but as it cooled it became very stiff and the consistency of a slightly melted Werther's Original.  The taste again showed promise, but the end product was unusable.


Very frustrating.  A simple reduction should be one of the easiest things to do.  Here is what NOT to do: Don't boil balsamic vinegar on high for 8 minutes.  Don't boil then simmer balsamic vinegar down to the point where you can leave a clear line across the back of a spoon. 


Thoughts for next time: Make sure it is a good quality, no additive balsamic vinegar.  Stop reducing way before I think I need to.  I was trying to reduce by half and I think that is too much.  When cool, it was not syrup-y enough.  So I will pay a little extra for even better vinegar, and only reduce a little.  I have seen recipes that call for added sugar and water.   I feel that defeats the point.  Like a wine reduction, you want to concentrate the flavors.  A good balsamic reduction should be Hershey's Chocolate syrup consistency and taste like a sweeter more flavorful balsamic vinegar.  It would be a wonderful counterpoint to strawberries, peaches, or goat cheese. 


I will let you know if/when I finally get it to work.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds amazing. I am expecting a lovely balsamic syrup the next time I visit. I'll bring the goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete