Friday, September 17, 2010

Mexican like your brother would make

Rivera’s Mexican Food
12047 Blondo St., Omaha (402) 932-1381

Rivera’s was recommended to my beau as a vegetarian friendly place to eat and suggested in particular the chile rellenos.  We went on a Friday night around 7pm and the place was packed.  Rivera’s has a small seating area and every seat was full.  The wait was not long and was made shorter by margaritas.

The fluorescent lighting did not do much for the white walls, institutional tile floors and cheap furniture, but the atmosphere was warmed by the friendly staff.  We put our name on the list and waited, perusing a menu while sipping a margarita.  The drinks were average, however they were certainly overpriced.  We paid $7.50 for a margarita on the rocks that would run $4.50 at other local eateries. 

The hostess seemed interested to learn it was our first time and at the end of the night, took the time to ask us how we liked everything. 
One note about ordering: You will get your free ships and salsa, but only after you order.  If you order chips first, you pay for them.  We avoided that hazard by our careful reading of the menu!

As they were recommended specifically, we ordered the Chile Rellenos, and I was tempted by the Enchiladas Veracruz.  I learned my lesson from last time and we agreed to split our entrees which works well as I can never make up my mind on just one dish anyway.

The chef himself delivered our entrees in short order as he did to many of the tables.  The portions were massive and we dug in.  I began with the Enchiladas Veracruz (shrimp, crab and onions topped with a poblano sauce and cheese.)  They did not skimp on the seafood and the mild poblano sauce was a nice counterpoint.  The mild cheese was not overused.  While the shrimp were a touch overcooked, the flavors were very nice and refreshing. 

Next, we switched plates and I tasted the Chile Relleno.  Ohmygoodness delicious.  Many times when I am craving Mexican, what I honestly want is cheese.  This dish meets that craving.  What I really found enjoyable though was the sauce.  It had a wonderful roasted tomato flavor with chile spices and a hint of cinnamon.  It had a real depth of flavor and richness I wasn’t expecting.  The breading on the pepper was light and crispy.  Did I mention the size of this pepper?  Huge.  One chile would make a meal and the entrée came with two in addition to the rice and beans.  In fact, I took only a few bites (because I couldn’t resist) then took the rest home.  It was just as delicious the next day. 

Each of our reasonably priced entrees (around $12) was enough food for two meals.  The abundance continued when we decided to splurge and order Sopapillas.  There were easily 15 or 16 Sopapillas.

Despite the high priced margaritas, everything was very reasonably priced.  The service was friendly and fast.  The down market décor did not detract from the fun buzz of a room that seats about 60.  The food was delicious and quite filling.

Next time we go, I am interested in trying more adventuresome entrees.  In particular, I am intrigued by the Mahi-Mahi Pibil- anchiote marinated mahi mahi filet baked in banana leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment